Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp (DF, GF)

It's official. The farmers market has begun and I am in my glory browsing around at all the fresh locally grown produce.  One item I've been fascinated with the last couple years is rhubarb.  I've used it to make muffins and jello.  I've experimented with cobblers and crisps.  There are so many possibilities to experiment with this beautiful, versatile vegetable.  Did I mention it's vibrant pink color, which makes my daughters very excited.  Not to many veggies come in bright pink and in their world they get pretty excited about this!

Last night we got together with some friends and I decided to make a dessert.  I wanted something tasty, healthy, and above all easy.  Let's be honest. At 37 weeks pregnant I don't want to spend a ton of time in the kitchen cooking.  I came up with this Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp that ended up being quite tasty.

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp

1 pound chopped rhubarb
1 1/2 quarts chopped strawberries
1 cup coconut palm sugar
2 TBS arrowroot powder
1 TBS lemon juice

1 cup oats
3/4 cup Sorghum flour
1/2 cup pecans
1/4 cup coconut oil
3 TBS pure maple syrup
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350.  Lightly oil a 9x13 pan.

Mix rhubarb, strawberries, palm sugar, arrowroot powder and lemon juice together in a large bowl.

In a food processor add the remaining ingredients to make the crumb topping.  If you don't have a food processor grind oats and pecans in a coffee grinder or blender and then mix with the rest of the ingredients until well combined.

Pour strawberry rhurbarb mixture into pan.  Use hands to drop small segments of the topping all over the fruit mixture.

Bake for approximately 45 minutes.

Serve with a scoop of vanilla coconut ice cream. 







No comments:

Post a Comment