Thursday, June 28, 2012

Vegan Bean Dip

Tis the season of cookouts and picnics.  When the temps soar I am constantly on the look out for easy meals.  I try to find meals that require the least amount of time in the kitchen possible so I can maximize my time outside, and meals that combine fresh local food with some good protein and/or fat.  This dip includes it all!  This dip works geats as a party appetizer or even a light summer meal.  This is one of my favorite dishes to take to a party or cook-out.  Honestly this dip is always a party favorite, and not just with vegan friends.  Everyone seems to love it!


Vegan Bean Dip

  • 2 cans vegetarian refried black beans
  • 1 16 ounce jar of salsa (or 2 cups homemade salsa)
  • 2 avocados
  • 1/2 cup non-dairy plain yogurt (obviously if dairy isn't an issue for you, you can use regular)
  • 1 tsp lime or lemon juice (helps prevent avocado from browning)
  • Lettuce (finely chopped)
  • Cilantro
  • Tomatoes (chopped)
  • Scallions

Mix beans and salsa together. Spread on the bottom of a 9x13 pan.  Mash avocados and mix in yogurt and lime or lemon juice.  Spread on top of bean and salsa layer.  Top the layers with lettuce, cilantro, tomatoes, and scallions.  (I don't measure these out.  I just use what I have and load it up with as much fresh veggies as possible).  Adding a vegan cheese like Daiya is an option or shredded goat cheese or dairy cheese depending on your cheese preferences.  I think it tastes amazing without the addition of cheese.  Finally, serve with your favorite tortilla chips. 

No comments:

Post a Comment