Saturday, June 23, 2012

Crunchy Buckwheat Cereal

I recently tried this recipe from one of my absolute favorite cookbooks.  The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook. I stumbled across this cookbook when I was expecting my first daughter and have consistently utilitzed it ever since. For whatever reason, this particular recipe never caught my eye before.  I recently made the Crunchy Buckwheat Cereal recipe and we all loved it.  Thumbs up from all four family members equates to blog worthy.  So here is a super easy, wholesome, homemade breakfast cereal recipe, straight from The Vegetarian Mothers Cookbook. 

Crunchy Buckwheat Cereal

2 cups raw whole Buckwheat Groats (found at local health food stores or online)
2 TBS sweetener (Raw Honey, Maple Syrup, Brown Rice Syrup,...)
1/4 cup nut or seed butter (almond butter, peanut butter, sunflower seed butter, tahini,..)

Preheat oven to 300F. Spread buckwheat on large baking sheet.  Bake for 20 minutes.  Stir buckwheat around a bit and roast for another 15-20 minutes until more golden.  Immediately mix hot buckwheat with sweetener and nut or seed butter until buckwheat is coated.  Cool.  Store in covered jar in refrigerator.  To serve, place 1/2 cup of cereal in bowl cover with milk of choice.  Add fresh or dried fruit. 

Makes approximately 4 servings.  I have been doubling the recipe to stretch it out a little longer and give us several days of easy breakfasts.  I personally like to use homemade coconut milk with this cereal. Oh so good!!

**Buckwheat is gluten-free despite wheat being part of the name.  If you want to learn more about buckwheat this link will be helpful for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment