Sunday, July 8, 2012

Quinoa Tabbouleh

I really enjoy a good tabbouleh but sometimes the abundance of parsley can be a bit overwhelming for me.  Also our family does mostly gluten-free so I started making my litte twist on traditional tabbouleh with quinoa instead of bulgur wheat. My girls are not normally big fans of quinoa even though they have been eating it since they were babies, but they love this recipe and quickly gobble it up.  So it's become an easy summertime staple around here.  I love that the quinoa is loaded in fabulous protein along with the nutrient dense herbs and the amazing taste of fresh tomatoes! It is great as a light meal on a hot day or a perfect side to complement any picnic or cook-out. 
The following is an approximate measurement of how I make my tabbouleh.  I usually just add things until I get the taste I am going for so don't be afraid to taste test as you make this yummy dish modify as needed. 

Quinoa Tabbouleh
2 cups cooked Quinoa
1-2 cups chopped cherry tomatoes (my girls love tomatoes so I add a lot!)
1 small cucumber chopped
3/4 cup packed fresh parsley, minced
3/4 cup packed fresh mint, minced
3 TBS Lemon juice
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

Mix all ingredients together.  If have time to allow it to chill the flavors blend together really well and the taste is even better. 




***I've also played around with this salad and have added sunflower seeds, garbanzo beans, and/or shredded carrots for even different flavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment