Friday, June 15, 2012

Fresh Take On Snacking

As the heat settles in our mode of eating around here has shifted.  I find myself wanting to spend less and less time in the kitchen.  No A.C. will do that to a girl.  Not to mention it's too hot to want to eat anything hot, or at least in my book.  I want lots of raw, fresh, cooling food.  I have also found it is nearly impossible to get much into the tummies of my little girls the last few days. It's so hot and they've lost a bit of their appetite.  As a mom, I feel like I NEED to feed them but then I step back and realize I, myself am not wanting to eat much either.  I want fruit, ice tea, and some raw veggies.  Oh and some ice cream!
My girls fall into the same category.  I understand. I totally relate.  But I also recognize our need for at least some protein and fat. Despite my best intentions, woman can not live on ice cream alone.  Oh but if I could! 
The other day I made an attempt to spice up snack time a bit.  It was a hit with my two little girls, so I wanted to share it with you. 

I used a small muffin tin and filled each section with a different healthy snack. 



I used raw kolrhabi (a fan favorite around here and can be found at a local farmers market near you), garbanzo beans, strawberries, raw almonds, sugar snap peas, and red peppers. 


The girls loved having a variety to choose from and simply something different.  All was going well until I saw this.......


My 3 year old making claims on the strawberries!


That was quickly remedied and off they went exploring their variety of snacks. I was actually very surprised how well this went over with them. They were able to play and graze and by the time it was said and done they had eaten the whole try of goodies. I plan on surprising them more often with this idea and mixing up the snack offerings.  Options are endless!   


No comments:

Post a Comment