Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Pumpkin Energy Bites

The school my girls go to is nut free.  I get it.  They have a couple friends that have severe nut allergies.  I can't imagine the fear that must play out in those mama's minds. It has made me realize how much I cook with nuts and use them in snacks. All. The. Time.  Staying creative on school lunches is no easy task (and we are still only part-timers!).  Gesh.

I came up with this version of an energy bite this week and my daughter loved having it packed in her lunch.  I was pumped she liked the nut free version and that there was some added pumpkin goodness.

Pumpkin Energy Bites

1 1/2 cups oats
1/4  cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup chia seeds(and or flax meal)
3 dates
1 TBS raw honey
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp powdered ginger 
chocolate chips  (to taste)


In a food processor add all ingredients except chocolate chips. Process until well combined (or like a dough is formed).  Add chocolate chips and pulse a few times.
Form into small balls.  Put them on a parchment paper lined pan and freeze.
I take them from the freezer in the morning and add them to my daughter's lunch bag so by the time lunch rolls around they are thawed but still cool.  I store some in the refrigerator and some in freezer for school lunches.

No comments:

Post a Comment