Friday, March 23, 2012

Ultimate Savory Breakfast

        
Two of my favorite loves when it comes to food are breakfast and ice cream.  Goodness, if I would have ice cream for breakfast I'd certainly be in heaven. Oh my!

One of the bonding moments my husband and I had early on in our dating relationship was when we discovered that we would both rather go out for breakfast than any other meal of the day.  This still remains true after having two kids and being married for seven years.  Birthdays are usually celebrated in our house with breakfasts out and cupcakes later in the day.  It's become a little tradition in our family.  

Now as much as I love breakfasts out, we don't stray far from our favorite restaurant in town. Marie Catrib's is our family favorite.  I think our girls believe it's the only restaurant in Grand Rapids, which is ok with me!  They often request it or point it out as we drive by, which is adorable and awesome.  This recipe is my attempt at re-creating my favorite breakfast dish at Marie's, the K.T. special.  A friend made this a few months ago when we were all spending a weekend together and I was so inspired and had to attempt it at home.  Now I'll be real honest with you.  My girls don't get nearly excited about this breakfast because when we go out they have GF sweet potato pancakes, Vegan stuffed french toast,......they are more into ordering the sweet breakfasts.  But they did eat this at home when those other options weren't available! 

Ultimate Savory Breakfast

Ingredients

14 ounce package extra-firm tofu
1 small onion
1 zucchini
1-1 1/2 cups chopped spinach
2-3 cloves garlic
freshly minced ginger (to taste)
Braggs Amino Acids or Tamari Soy Sauce (to taste) (start lightly and add more if needed)
Sesame Seed Oil (optional)
1/4 cup Sesame seeds

Directions

1) Saute' tofu with a splash of Sesame Seed Oil.  Saute' until tofu is browned.

2)While the tofu is cooking, caramelize the onion.  

3)Saute garlic, ginger and zucchini until zucchini is soft.  Add tofu, caramelized onions, Braggs or Tamari, and sesame seeds.  Cook for several minutes until well combined.  

4) Serve with potatoes that have been roasted with fresh garlic and a blend of savory spices.  

5) Sit back and enjoy a nutritious, hearty breakfast filled with lots of goodness and love.    
 

















No comments:

Post a Comment