Monday, March 12, 2012

Parsnip Fries


Move over potato, there's a new fry in town.

Parsnips have never rated in my top 10 veggie list.  Recently that changed.  I saw a blog post using parsley roots as fries and suggesting parsnips could work as well.  Parsnips did work out quite fabulously and they have quickly crept up the ranks in my mind.  My history with parsnips is chopping them up and adding them to a pan of roasted veggies, or a couple times in a stew or soup.  My view was that they were good.  Not great.

My connection with parsnips is that I continue to buy them because they are still available from the harvest last fall, which means it's one of the few local veggies I can buy in Michigan in March.  This has fueled my determination to find ways to use this root vegetable.

Parsnips are the albino cousin of the carrot.  While they don't contain the beta carotene that carrots do they pack their own nutritional punch.  Parsnips contain a nice amount of fiber which aids in healthy digestion.  They also contain a good amount of vitamin C which aids in immunity, and really who doesn't need that in the middle of March in Michigan?  Some other goodness found in parsnips is calcium, iron, magnesium, and potassium. This crazy little vegetable is also a shining natural source of folic acid, so if your an expecting, or soon to be expecting mama, take note of this veggie. 

These fries are a great pairing along side a sandwich, soup, or as a wholesome snack for the kiddos or mama! I could honestly graze on these all day long.  When parsnips are roasted their natural sugars create a sweetness.  Imagine a sweet and salty french fry.  This is it.
 

Parsnip Fries

Parsnips
Olive Oil
Dried Parsley
Dried Rosemary
Sea Salt

Directions

Scrub or peel parsnips.  (I personally like peeling them especially since they've been stored since last fall and it makes them seem a little more fresh to me).

Slice parsnips lengthwise.  Make slices thin like fries.

Toss with olive oil, parsley, rosemary, and sea salt.


Roast at 400 for 30-40 minutes on a lightly oiled cookie sheet.   Check on fries at this point and stir them.  They may need to cook a little longer depending on how thick they are cut. Check every 5 minutes.  They should be cooked all the way through. The longer they are left in the crunchier they become. 

Dip in a little side of organic ketchup and I'm sure you'll be amazed!










No comments:

Post a Comment