Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Cherry Tomato Salad



I'm on a serious tomato kick right now.  I can't seem to get enough.  I'm just loving me some yummy organic tomatoes!

At the first bite of this salad, my 2 year old (almost three so I want to say 2 as much as I can before she turns 3!) proclaimed, "Mommy this is delicious!"  Ok any time my little one says that, especially lately, I take mental notes.

I had remembered seeing something like this in a Vegetarian Times magazine a couple years ago.  We needed lunch and I had all these beautiful tomatoes sitting on my counter.  So this is another one of those things I just threw together and didn't measure out exactly so enjoy experimenting and putting your own personal touches on it!  I hope you enjoy it and find it as tasty and delicious and my sweet Norah did. 



Cherry Tomato Salad (Vegan & Raw)

Cherry Tomatoes (add different sizes & colors) (I used around a quart of tomatoes)
1/2-3/4 cup Fresh Basil
Olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1/2 Avocado
1 Cucumber
1/3 Sweet Onion

  • Chop some cherry tomatoes in half and others in quarters.
  • Puree 1/4-1/2 cup basil, garlic, and olive oil in blender or food processor, making a pesto of sorts. Making the pesto thin enough to stir and coat tomatoes.  Depending on how many tomatoes you use, you may have some leftover pesto, which can be added to sandwiches, pastas, or salad dressings.
  •  Toss cherry tomatoes with pesto.  Allow to marinate for up to 30 minutes. 

  •  After tomatoes have marinated mix in onion, cucumber, avocado, and additional chopped fresh basil.

 Add a fresh vegetable juice and you have yourself a tasty, delicious lunch to sit on your deck and enjoy a beautiful summer afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment