Monday, November 14, 2011

Pumpkin Cranberry Pancakes (GF)

g


Last week the girls and I were having a lazy morning and I decided to play and create a new pancake recipe. So off to the kitchen we went. I had lots of pumpkin puree in my fridge and thought it sounded great in pancakes with some of the fresh cranberries I had picked up from the farmers market.

This is what I ("we"--I usually have at least 1 helper with me!)came up with. They are for sure a 'hearty' pancake.  My girls love pancake mornings! Why not get some veggies and extra nutrients in them? They gobble them up.  Leftover pancakes make a great snack too!

 Pumpkin Cranberry Pancakes

 Ingredients
    1 1/2 cups milk (coconut milk beverage)
    1 cup pumpkin puree (fresh or canned)
    1 TBS ground chia seed mixed with 3 TBS water (or 1 egg)
   1 teaspoons vanilla
    2 tablespoons coconut oil (or oil of choice)
    2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
    2 cups all-purpose flour 
    (I used a mix of millet, sorghum, brown rice flour but whole wheat would great and hearty as well)
    2 tablespoons sucanat (or granular sugar of choice)
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    2 teaspoon ground flaxseeds
    1 teaspoon ground allspice
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup chopped walnuts
    3/4 cup chopped fresh cranberries
   

Directions

Mix together the milk, pumpkin, egg, oil and vinegar. Combine the flour, sucanat or sugar, baking powder, baking soda, ground flax seeds, allspice, cinnamon, ginger and salt in a separate bowl. Stir into the pumpkin mixture just enough to combine. Gently mix in walnuts and cranberries.
    Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot with butter or butter substitute and pure maple syrup. 

****I like to use an ice cream scoop to measure out the batter for pancakes. Makes smaller pancakes which is perfect for small people! And makes a great small pancake for a snack. 

No comments:

Post a Comment