Monday, October 10, 2011

Apple Crisp


Dessert for breakfast? Yep it's true.  It's apple galore here in Michigan and we cannot seem to get enough.  In fact I currently have 2 bushels sitting on my table waiting to be made into glorious applesauce.  We've been putting apples in pancakes, baked oatmeal, butternut squash soup, dipping them in almond butter, and roasting them with sweet potatoes in the crock pot.  Seriously, we are living up this season of apple love!

One of my favorites is still Apple Crisp.  I love how healthy and wholesome this is.  I am completely comfortable giving this to my girls for breakfast, dessert, a snack, or lunch.  They love it. I love it. Eat it cold.  Eat it hot. I mean how can you not love apple crisp? So this is my twist on the popular fall treat.


1/2 tsp cinnamon


Preheat oven to 350.  Place apples in 9 x 13 pan.

In a medium-sized saucepan, combine 2 1/2 cups of the apple cider, raisins, salt, & cinnamon. Bring this mixture to boil.  Stir arrowroot in the remaining 1/2 cup apple cider.  Stir the thickened arrowroot mixture into the boiling cider mixture.  Remove from heat and add vanilla.  Pour this thickened mixture over apples.


For the topping:  In a large bowl stir oil and sweetener together. Mix in oats, walnuts, salt, and spices. (I sometimes like to put the oats in my food processor to grind them really fine).  Spread topping onto apples.  Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden.


This would pair wonderfully with a homemade, vegan  Maple-Walnut Ice Cream.

I hope you enjoy some yummy fall goodness for breakfast, dessert, or whenever your in need of some yummy, whole-some goodness!






No comments:

Post a Comment