Sunday, July 31, 2011

Mango Sorbet

I know I've mentioned this before but I love ice cream.  This love of mine doesn't go well with my dairy intolerance.  So I am constantly trying to come up with new non-dairy ice creams.  My girls are loving it too.  In fact one evening a week ago we'd been grazing a bit that day on random foods and we got home a little late and no one was real hungry for dinner.  So what did we do....we had ice cream for dinner.  It was awesome.   I didn't feel a bit bad about it either.  It was homemade and loaded with strawberries, bananas, almonds, and coconut milk.  Perfect ending to a very long, hot day.

I usually try to use local fruits that we've frozen for our ice creams, but this was an exception.  Randy had stopped at the store recently and came home with quite a few mangoes because they were having a stellar deal on them.  Well I pretty much forgot about the mangoes because our fridge is packed with all the fruit we've been getting at the farmers market.  I realized yesterday that they had gotten a bit soft so I peeled and froze them, with the intention of making something yummy out of them.  Well this is what I came up with last night.  So so good!

Mango Sorbet

Frozen mangoes
Pineapple (Canned or fresh)
Shredded Coconut

**I didn't measure things out but just added a bit at a time into the food  processor and played with consistency.  I froze 3 mangoes and by the end of the evening they were all gone.  (Norah and I did make a small batch for a snack as well earlier in the day!) I used almost half of a can of crushed pineapple but not much of the actual pineapple juice it was packed in.  I added in just a little bit of the shredded coconut while the mangoes and pineapple were mixing.  I then topped our bowls with a sprinkle of the shredded coconut.   My girls weren't huge fans of the texture the coconut created but of course it was ice cream so that didn't stop them for to long.

Viola' a yummy sorbet you can feel good about giving your kiddos, even if they didn't eat dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment