Sunday, June 12, 2011

Gluten Free Apple-Oat Pancakes

I LOVE breakfast!  My husband and I agree that we would rather go out for breakfast over any other meal.  In my previous post I offered a breakfast experiment along with a Baked Oatmeal recipe.  Well I thought if you were going to try the breakfast experiment, I'd offer you another delicious, easy, nutritious breakfast recipe.

The recipe does contain eggs.  I've gone back and forth about including eggs as part of my girls diet.  We don't do meat or dairy and I feel like this is one way for them to get some of the nutrients that they may not otherwise get.  Particularly B vitamins.  We use Brewer's Yeast to add additional B vitamins to our diets, but I hesitate having my little ones on a rigid vegan diet.  There are some drawbacks to that.  There is some controversy about eggs.  My girls enjoy eggs.  I'm taking things like this in baby steps and just trying to be really aware of what foods nourish them and what they do well with.  They enjoy the occasional eggs.  We buy local, organic, free-range eggs.   I'm ok with this at this point.  So with that said, if your not doing eggs yet with your little one or have chosen not to do them, there are ways to substitute eggs.
Egg Substitution:
  • 1 TBS ground flaxseed mixed with 3 TBS water (do this for each egg)
  • mashed banana
  • mashed tofu

I can't take credit for this recipe.  This recipe is straight from Cathe Olson's "Simply Natural Baby Food" book.  It has become a staple in our house.  We all love these pancakes and have lately been making them weekly.  So, so good!

Apple-Oat Pancakes

  • 1 3/4 cups rolled oats (purchase gluten free oats to make them truly gluten free)
  • 1/4 cup almonds
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 2 eggs (or 4 egg yolks or egg substitution)
  • 1 1/3 cups milk (we do non-dairy but you can do whatever your kiddos are used to)
  • 1 apple grated

Grind oats and nuts to powder in blender or food processor.  Pour oat mixture into a large mixing bowl and stir in baking powder and cinnamon.

Beat eggs and milk together.  Grate apple in food processor or my hand.  Add the egg mixture and apple to oats.  Stir until just mixed.  Let batter sit 5 minutes while griddle heats.

Bake pancakes on a lightly oiled griddle or skillet over medium heat.  Use approximately 1/4 cup batter for each pancake.  Cook for 5 minutes.  Turn when top is bubbly and edges are starting to dry.  Cook for 3 to 5 more minutes.

Yields approximately 12 pancakes.

We like to top ours with raw almond butter, a little pure maple syrup, and some fresh fruit.




Enjoy a delicious, healthy breakfast to start your day!

1 comment:

  1. yum! love the easy recipe. breakfast is for sure my favorite as well! :)

    ReplyDelete