Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Incredible Avocado



Seriously. I think this is nature's most AMAZING food. Avocados were both of my girls first foods. Doesn't get much easier than this. And let's be honest. When your a mama of little ones easy is the ideal choice.
I think we should probably buy stock in the avocado industry as much as we use them. My girls love them but I must admit, I love them equally as much. David Wolfe (raw food guru) deemed his nickname as avocado....not goji berry, or cacaco, or spirulina, or medicinal mushrooms (all said to be super foods and funny nicknames). Nope he labels himself as "Avocado". Which is funny to me but also reminds me that the guru of the Raw Food movement has a deep love and confidence in the benefits of the avocado. I mean you wouldn't want to pick a food nickname that was a fad, right??

Avocados were staples when my girls were first introduced to solid foods. I would just mash up a little avocado (in the beginning I added a little breast milk to give it a thinner consistency) and serve. I threw them in the diaper bag when we were out and about and needed an easy, quick meal. All that glorious good fat found in an avocado. Fat that is so amazing for a developing baby.

As baby got older I would toss avocado in purees for a creamier texture. When we got to finger foods, this was an easy to eat and familiar finger food.

Now we use them in our green smoothies. Oh the creaminess it adds to our smoothies. Dynamite! I also add them as a garnish to soups, tacos, salads....just about anything. Guacamole is always a hit in our house. I'll smear them on a cracker or rice cake with a little goat cheese for an easy lunch for the girls. The possibilities are endless. I don't believe there is such a thing as an avocado overdose! :)

A little trick with the avocado is to keep the pit (seed) in it if your only using part of the fruit. This will help it from browning quite as fast. With little eaters you may find you only use little bits at a time and this way you can keep your fruit fresher longer.

Have a favorite avocado use? Please post and share with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment